Thursday, November 5, 2009

Lesson learned...

Just when I thought I was becoming a better friend, I realized I still had a lot to learn...
Sometimes we encounter people that we mesh well with. This was in fact that case and she'd been a great friend. I'd sort of started feeling sorry for myself lately and assumed she just didn't care because for a while we only talked when it was convenient for her or when I made the call, or so I thought. I stopped calling for a while with the "she'll call me when she's ready, I'm tired of initiating" mentality. Boy did I get it wrong! It wasn't a lack of regard for me or my feelings. She had a lot going on and really couldn't call. Actually, she was sick and back & forth with doctors.
Lesson learned - We should do things without expectation. We should be a good friend because it is what we are meant to do. We should call even when we're not being called. We should say hello even when no one is saying hello to us. We should smile when no one else is smiling. We should inquire about another persons day even if no one has inquired about our own.
It is unfair to assume how someone else feels or that they don't value us. Everyone has their own opinion of the "value" of a friendship and/or what validates one. We each have our own idea of how to be a good friend. For some it may be calling or emailing daily, it may be saying "hi" once a week or once a month. For some it could be not talking for 3 months and then meeting up and taking off as if you'd never missed a day.
The world doesn't revolve around us, we revolve around the world. Do onto others and you'd like done onto you...

No comments:

Post a Comment